1. Why did you become a wine producer?
Fundamentally, TRADITION, and being from Rioja and having spent a lot of time in the village, I’ve always been in contact with vineyards and I have a lot of memories as a child running among the vines.
2. What qualities or virtues do you value most in a glass of wine?
3. What’s your favourite pairing?
Amontillado and artichokes.
4. What kind of wine is always on hand in your home?
A Rioja Reserva.
5. If you had to choose a wine, a book and a song to take with you to a desert island, which would they be?
For a wine, I’d bring our newest release, Uva por Uva, The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho, and the song New Year’s Day by U2.
6. Describe in one sentence the area in which you work.
Diverse and heterogeneous
7. Any anecdotes you would like to share about your years working in the wine business?
I’ve been making wine for over 20 years, and for sure what comes to mind are my beginnings, when I split my time working as a winemaker and professional indoor footballer. Holy cow, that was a lot of running around!
8. What do you think is the best way to make wine popular among young people?
A combination of publicity and marketing. Combining good promotional campaigns with social media, influencers, etc.
9. What do you like most about Vinoble?
The location can’t be beat, and the possibility of being able to try such a wide variety of wines in the same place makes it even better. I also love the people that are always at Vinoble, they are friendly and generous (pun intended).
10. What holds more merit, being able to make good wine or being successful at selling it?
Both are equally valid.
Visit Bodegas Altanza website: www.bodegasaltanza.com